Geriatrics Assessment and Consultation Service
Mercy Medical Center's Geriatrics Consultation Service is a valuable resource for elderly patients, family members and caregivers and primary physicians. It provides comprehensive geriatric assessment of patient's health issues, in the context of their social and family needs; assists with access to appropriate community and private supports; and provides education and information about common geriatric health problems and concerns.
When is an assessment needed?
Older individuals in need of a comprehensive assessment may experience any combination of the following symptoms:
- Multiple health problems
- Confusion or memory loss
- Behavioral change, including depression or anxiety
- Difficulty in performing daily activities
- Weakness, caused by reconditioning or other health problems
- Nutritional concerns, including unexplained weight loss
- Problems resulting from multiple medications
- Uncertainty about one's ability to live independently
What can you expect from an assessment?
- A clearer understanding of problems and issues
- A comprehensive assessment of care needs
- A list of options to consider regarding health issues
- A comprehensive plan for continuity of care
- Help with difficult decisions regarding living environment and home safety
- Referrals to all appropriate services
- Consultation to assist the primary physician
If you or a loved one is advancing in age, please call to schedule an appointment with a dedicated Mercy gerontologist who can help you understand how to best prepare for the signs of aging.
For more information, please call 516-62-Mercy.