The Mercy Medical Center Hospitalist Service is staffed by physicians who are Board Certified in their areas of specialty, and perform a variety of functions.
This program is available to serve our physicians when assistance is requested or when a patient is admitted without a personal physician.
The Hospitalist Service exists to serve you, and it is completely voluntary.
Your private patients are welcome at Mercy whether you use the service frequently; selectively for coverage on weekends, holidays and during vacation periods; or not at all.
Our hospitalist service provides 24/7 inpatient coverage 365 days a year with the goal to provide first-rate service and attention to the needs of the Mercy Medical Center inpatient population, the community, and our community-based primary care attendings.
In considering the Hospitalist Service, we urge you to remember that it is:
- Always Available - A hospitalist is on site 24 hours a day.
- Easy to Contact - The Department of Hospitalist Services may be reached 24 hours a day by calling 516-705-3656, and you will be put directly in touch with the hospitalist on call. During a hospital stay, the hospitalists will provide you with as much communication as you request and a discharge summary will be sent to your office within 48 hours of discharge.
- Dedicated to Your Stewardship - Your role as the patient's primary care physician will be respected, referral patterns will not be disrupted and patients will be referred back to you at discharge.
- Efficient and Helpful - The hospitalists work hard at getting what needs to get done in a timely manner. The length of stay of patients referred to the hospitalists will be statistically attributed to the referring physician.
- Attentive to Patients - The Hospitalist Service staffing ratio is targeted for 1:15 patient encounters.
- Seeking Feedback - The Hospitalist Service is designed to enhance patient satisfaction, throughput and physician satisfaction. We will be actively seeking feedback and continuous improvement.
- Safe transitioning - Our hospitalists follow patients in post-acute care facilities to ensure a safe discharge back to the community